As most members will know we made some changes in the way we deliver our junior programmes in early 2021. Since making these changes our programmes have undergone a rapid transformation which has delivered solid growth in the first term of the new format. The new model of delivery for Fun Sticks changed from 1 x 10-week block across two terms to a model that includes 2 x 6 week blocks which has paid dividends through increased attendance and participation in a single term.
It is becoming increasingly important that we grow participants at the base of our game to grow our Black Sticks of tomorrow and we are incredibly happy to report that in one year that we have more than doubled participants in this space.
The use of Kiwi Sport Funding allowed us to give youth the chance in Term 2 to join for free, a number of these participants became paid members for the Term 3 programme, and we have retained over 65% of participants from Term 2 into the Term 3 programme. A new opportunity we are using is to use the connections made through in school Hockey Delivery to grow our attendance into these two programmes and hopefully on to our member clubs in future.
Our Youth programmes are spread across five key programme spaces this year.
- Pre-School Play – targeted at the younger brothers and sisters (3.5-4.5/5 yrs old) of the Funsticks and Explore programmes this fundamental movement programme aims to provide an opportunity for our littlest Harbour Whanau members to engage with movement.
- Funsticks – For children in school years 0-3 who are interested in learning and developing Hockey skills
- Small Sticks – For children in school years 4,5 & 6 who may not want to enter the full U12 Cubs and Hawklets programmes, this programme is a great starting point.
- Explore Sport – Aimed at the children in the Fun Sticks school years 0-3 age group who may or may not be interested in Hockey but are at the Turf and would like to engage in a range of sport activities to “keep them busy” and enjoy fundamental movement skills and challenges.
- Youth Programme Trial – For the parent who is interested in trialing one of the above programmes a simple one off fee of $15 per session which is deducted from your programme cost if you later enroll.
All programmes are still open for registration now.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org